Cloud Data Sense is a BlueXP (previously Cloud Manager) data governance service that searches your corporate and on-cloud data sources to map and categorize data and identify private information. This can help you reduce security and compliance risks, lower storage costs, and aid in data migration projects.
Features of Cloud Data Sense
Cloud Data Sense understands the content that it scans using natural language processing (NLP), artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning (ML) to extract entities as well as categorize the appropriate content. This enables Data Sense to offer the following features.
Data Sense offers a number of tools to assist you with your compliance efforts. Data Sense can be used to:
- Find Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
As considered necessary by GDPR, PCI, CCPA, and HIPAA privacy regulations, identify a broad range of sensitive personal information.
Respond to DSARs by name as well as the email address.
- Determine if unique identifiers from your databases have been found in files in other repositories, effectively creating your own list of “personal data” identified in Data Sense scans.
- Notify specific users via email when files contain PII so you can plan an action.
Data Sense can detect data that is at risk of being obtained for criminal purposes. Data Sense can be used to:
- Identify all open permissions for directories and files (shares but also folders) that are visible to your entire company or the public.
- Determine sensitive data that is not in the initial, designated location.
- Follow data retention policies.
- Use Policies to immediately notify security personnel of new security issues, allowing them to take immediate action.
- Add custom tags to files (for instance, “needs to be moved”) but also assign a BlueXP user to control file updates.
- In your files, you can view as well as modify Azure Information Protection labels.
Improve storage utilization
Data Sense offers tools to help you reduce your storage overall cost (TCO). Data Sense can be used to:
- Increase the storage effectiveness by discovering duplicate or irrelevant data. You may utilize this information to determine whether to move or delete specific files.
- Delete any files that appear to be insecure or too dangerous to keep in your storage system, as well as that you have defined as duplicates. Policies can be used to delete files that meet certain criteria.
- Reduce storage expenses by finding inactive data that can be tiered to cheaper object storage.
Increase the speed of data migration
Before migrating your on-premises data to the public as well as private cloud, Data Sense may be utilized to scan it. Data Sense can be used to:
- Before moving data, consider its size and whether any of it contains sensitive information.
- Filter the source data (using over 25 different types of criteria) so that only the necessary files are moved to the destination – unnecessary data also isn’t moved.
- Only the necessary data should be moved, copied, or synced into the cloud storage site on an ongoing basis.
Cost of the Cloud Data Sense
The cost of using Cloud Data Sense is determined by the amount of data scanned. For the first 30 days, Data Sense will scan 1 TB of data in a BlueXP working space for free. All data from across all working environments as well as data sources is included. To keep going scanning data after that point, you’ll need an Azure, AWS, or GCP Marketplace subscription, or a NetApp BYOL license. Details can be found in the pricing section.
Installing Cloud Data Sense in the cloud necessitates the deployment of a cloud instance, which incurs costs from the cloud provider where it is hosted. Examine the instance type used by each cloud provider.
If you download Data Sense on an on-premises system, there is no charge.
Cloud Data Sense requires the installation of a BlueXP Connector. Due to other stores as well as services you use in BlueXP, you may already have a Connector. The cloud provider in which the Connector instance is deployed charges for it. Examine the instance type used by each cloud provider. If you download the Connector on an on-premises system, there is no charge.
User access to compliance data
Each user’s assigned role offers various capabilities within BlueXP as well as Cloud Data Sense:
- An Account Administrator is able to handle compliance settings but also view compliance data for all workplaces.
- A Workspace Admin can only manage compliance settings as well as view compliance information for systems to which they have access. If a Workspace Admin is unable to connect a working environment in BlueXP, they will not be able to view any policies to address the workplace environment in the Data Sense tab.
- Users with the Compliance Viewer contribution only can view compliance information and make reports for systems to which they have access. These users do not have the ability to enable or disable the scanning of buckets, volumes, or database schemas. These users are also unable to move, copy, or delete files.